Everyone needs structure and everyone needs rules. Especially when you are starting out on a new adventure. That is why when I began culinary school, I took the rules and regulations seriously. Maybe sometimes a little too seriously.
Some students, which I’m sure you’ve already guessed, didn’t follow the rules so much. In the beginning, the school enforced the rules but as time went by, the policing seemed to wane. By the time I reached the middle of my education, it seemed all rules and regulations were tossed out the window. How frustrating. Especially to us rule-followers.
Here’s a look into the rules we had to go by:
Culinary and Pastry Arts Uniform Policy
You must report to class in full uniform and remain in full uniform at all times until you leave the premises. Students not in full uniform will be dismissed or not admitted into class. You must have your tool kit and curriculum books with you when reporting to a laboratory class and curriculum books when reporting to non-laboratory classes. Student must follow all local and state food service handler health regulations.
- Student ID must be worn at all times while in the building.
- Black shoes – must be worn at all times. They must be solid black in color, closed-toed and cleanable with a non-slip sole.
- Reason: Safety, protect the student from slips, spills and falls.
- Black socks (plain – no ankle socks, stripes or emblems).
- Pants – clean, pressed, hemmed, (standard TCA-issue only), must be worn at the waist and pants length should be ankle length but not touching the ground.
- Reason: Safety (Protect the student from spills and burns).
- Chef’s jacket– clean and pressed (standard TCA-issue only)
- Reason: Safety (protect the student) & Sanitation (protect from food contamination).
- Hair Covering (for kitchens only) – White Chef’s skull caps (TCA-issue only). All hair must be covered, if hair extends beyond shoulder length, both hat and a hairnet must be used, this includes bangs which must be secured off the face or under a hairnet.
- Reason: Sanitation (pieces of hair falling into food).
- Hair of unnatural color is not allowed (green, blue, pink etc.) and will not be permitted.
- T-shirt worn under chef coat (white, no lettering, design, or insignia).
- Neckerchief (white, worn inside the uniform, close to the neckline (TCA-issue only).
- Apron – clean & pressed in kitchens only (TCA-issued only).
- Jewelry – no jewelry of any kind is to be worn in the kitchen except for plain wedding band.
- Reason: Safety and Sanitation – earrings and earring backs which can fall into food products, piercing jewelry can be caught on pieces of equipment and can harbor food and germs causing unsanitary and unsafe conditions.
- Piercings – No piercings of any kind are permitted in the kitchen. This includes piercing spacers.
- Reason: Sanitation and Physical hazards.
- Nails and Nail Polish – No nail polish or nail stickers of any kind or false nails are permitted. All nails must be trimmed to finger length.
- Reason: Sanitation.
- Two clean side towels for kitchens only (TCA-issue only).
- Thermometer (sanitized and calibrated)
- No cell phone in classrooms or labs unless used for classroom instruction. They can be used in student lounge or outside the building or for an emergency.
- Headphones or ear pieces from cellular phones or personal electronics may not be worn in any lab or classroom.
- Cuts, wounds, scratches or skin blemishes from the finger tips to the beginning of the forearm must be protected by a finger cot or surgical rubber glove (bandage if needed under cot or glove).
- Makeup can be worn, must be kept neutral and minimal.
- Perfumes, cologne or other strong fragrances must not be worn.
- Sweater or coats may not be worn in classrooms or laboratories.
- Beards and goatees must be kept groomed to 1/4 inch in length; you cannot be in the process of growing a beard and/or mustache during class. Otherwise all make students must be clean-shaven daily.
- In case of skin conditions, the student must provide proper medical documentation to the Dean and/or his or her Designee.
- Book bags and/or other types of carrying cases are not permitted in the classrooms and laboratories. ALL Students are assigned a locker. Please utilize them.
- TCA is a SMOKE-FREE campus. All smoking must be off-campus property at all times.